Ruginoasa Palace is actually a museum dedicated to the first royalty of Romania, Alexandru Ioan Cuza.
It still has some of the original pieces of furniture, while others were brought to recreate the nineteenth century life.
Some of the authentic pieces of furniture are the ones from the office and library of Cuza, and they are made of oak ordered by Ms Elena from Paris.
In the living room we can see Sevre porcelain plates, with the logo of the principalities on them and the slogan “All in one”, the Baccarat glasses and alpaca cutlery .
In the receptions room there is a Venetian crystal mirror and Louis XV-style furniture.
The original staircase was apparently made of marble. It was completely damaged so now there is a wooden staircase only complying with the original architecture.
The castle was completely restored and they have tried a more exact reproduction of it’s former glory. The effort was worth, both the inside and outside is gorgeous. There is even a hologram of the prince who talks to you. The attention to detail is seen even in the curtains at the windows that are made to be an accurate copy of the existing ones during Cuza.
Ruginoasa Palace bears a curse, all the families who lived here have lost one young and unhappy man. One of them was Prince Dimitrie who shot himself in his room being disappointed from love story. He is buried in the Church churchyard next to the Royal area.
Ruginoasa Palace was built in 1800 by Sandulache Sturza, being designed in the neoclassical style.The park that surrounded the castle, having even a pond was arranged by a Viennese gardener. The castle is rebuilt in neo-Gothic style by Costache Sturdza.
In 1862, Alexandru Ioan Cuza, the first Prince of Romania, bought the castle from the Sturza family, and makes it his summer residence. He spends little time here, unlike his wife Elena who is established here. Unfortunately her life here is one full of misery and loneliness.
After the death of Cuza, Ms. Elena move’s out of here and she goes to Piatra – Neamt where she will live the rest of her life.
At the palace will remain Maria Moruzzi, the widow daughter-in-law of Cuza. She will marry Ionel Brătianu, and they have a son, that is the future historian Gheorghe Bratianu. He his born at the palace.
After the death of Maria Moruzzi the property passes by testamentary donation, to the Hospital Charity. Over the palace, that is still coated with silk from Paris, with functional fireplaces and with over 100 years of history, silence and forget slowly take’s place.
The Palace became’s a TB sanatorium, headquarters of the city hall, the palace pioneers, communal library. It is said that in the 70’s Ceausescu enter the palace area and horrified by what he sees he request the restoration of the place. In 1982 the Memorial Museum of “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” is inaugurated.
Two minutes from the castle there is the Royal Church and in it’s courtyard was originally buried Alexandru Ioan Cuza. Now, however, the bones are at the Trei Ierarhi Church in Iasi. The church is very beautiful, but needs urgent restoration.
Ruginoasa town is situated between the cities Targu Frumos and Pascani, at 60 km from Iasi. It can be reached by following the National Road 28A;
You can also get here by train, the castle is across the street from the station.